10.13.2014

Motherhood Realized

Last week in my post I mentioned that I had found Power of Moms podcasts and website and how much I was loving them. I also mentioned that I was going to the library to pick up their book.

Motherhood Realized. By page 6 I found myself on Amazon purchasing the book for myself because I knew this was a book I needed to own. It is one of those books that until Emma is grown up will probably live on my nightstand right along with my scriptures for easy access. I recognize it won't speak to everyone like it spoke to me, but this book really hit home for me. I needed these messages, and I needed them now.

First. The book has 4 chapters, and each chapter has 10-15 short essays (about 3 pages each typically). These essays are written by moms, not by social scientists. Each essay was motivating and inspiring. I felt like several of the essays were written directly for me, in my current stage of motherhood. Some didn't apply to me yet (I don't have teenagers, or kids leaving home) but I can totally see how they will be beneficial to me later in life. There were several that had me in tears, and made Chris wonder what I was reading about. The "Becoming Our Best Selves" chapter was probably my very favorite--so many great essays in this chapter!

One of the things I especially LOVE is that each essay ends with a question and a challenge. For example, the essay called "How I Justify Mommy Fun" has the question "Do you have any hobbies or interests that have fallen by the wayside during motherhood?" and the challenge is "Pick one of them that feels good for your soul and schedule some time for it this week."

I quickly read the book while I had it from the library, and now that I own a copy I am going to take the time to reread the book, one essay at a time and really think about the question and challenge, and when possible use them as a journal prompt.  Some of them I may even blog about.

Here is the link to the book on Amazon Motherhood Realized if you want to see what others are having to say about it!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds awesome! It's easy to let your hobbies all die when you have a baby.

Joe and Joanne said...

Thanks for sharing this. I'm going to Amazon now! Another book that came highly recommended from a friend that I have bookmarked to get is called "Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Ted Tripp.