7.24.2011

A need to get creative...

So occasionally Chris has to work these funky hours when a big project is occurring and the work can't be done during business hours. Those days he goes in at 10am and often doesn't come home until somewhere between 3-6am. In our current place we have this problem called french doors that lead from our room to the great outdoors. They have blinds, but the blinds are awful and let a ton of light in anyway. When Chris gets home in the wee hours of the morning he likes to be able to sleep in, but he can't if there is a lot of light.

Here comes my need to become creative. We're moving this week, and with the move we'll have two windows into our room. I need to come up with either something to keep up always to help the light stay out, or something that I can put up just on those days that it will be needed.

I'm limited in the following ways: I don't own a sewing machine so making curtains isn't going to be the easiest task, although I may have a friend or two who are looking for excuses to spend more time with me after we move and won't be in the same ward anymore. Also, I haven't sewn anything in who knows how long, and the last thing I sewed was probably a pillow case that I made in YW.

I am however really good at using tape. Would light come through a dark piece of felt? Could it be as simple as getting a piece of felt and taping it to our window?

One problem I have right now is that I also don't know the dimensions of the windows. I couldn't tell ya if they are teeny little things or if they're pretty decent sized, I just remember that there is a window or two. Once we get the keys on Tuesday I'll know that for sure, and since this is important it will need to be done right away.

Suggestions? Anyone?

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I have a friend who just attached twin sheets to some rings with clips for curtains and she just had to installs some curtain rods. You probably won't need anything that big, but maybe you could find some smaller pieces of fabric? Take a picture of the windows when you get there and I'll see if I can think of something. :-D

Cara said...

We use room darkening rolling shades on our kids' windows. They keep the room completely dark and can attach over existing mini blinds (which is nice because you can still open the window to let light in when you want). I've gotten them for every house I've lived in. You can buy them on JC Penney.com and they come in custom sizes for cheap. You just measure your windows and send them the measurements.

Megan said...

Cara's idea seems the easiest since you just have to buy them. But if you are wanting to put something up, what we have in the boys' room are curtains made by their grandmother. But to make it easier, you can go find the darkening cloth at JoAnn's and they are hanging on our windows with 3M hooks. So you could just cut it and cut slits at the positions you want the hooks and hang it up whenever you want. Good luck!

grandkrumps said...

And Mom's super cheap, super quick thought: get black poster boards, cut them to fit and tape with packing or duct tape if the windows are large. When Chris has to pull his all-nighters, just stick them into the windows with rolled up masking tape and when he wakes up, you store them at the head of your bed. How's that for terrific?