5.27.2012

Hanon

As a kid I hated this book:

I just absolutely hated it. At the time I thought it was pointless, I was good at fingering (or so I thought) and I could play kinda fast. I thought I was hot stuff when it came to the piano.

This week I ordered that book from Amazon so that I can work on accuracy, speed, and fingering. Turns out I am WAY out of practice.

I got a new calling today (after being released from Activity Days) that will put me at the piano a little more often, hence the desire to improve my piano skills. I was called to accompany the "auxillary choirs" that our ward has-- our youth choir, our womens choir, and our family choirs. I don't have to play for the mens choir, because they got a accompanist today as well. Basically, I play for choirs/musical numbers unless it's the actual ward choir.

The confusing thing... is that my other calling (YW Music Specialist) already requires me to play for the youth choir, and we don't even have a womens choir. Apparently we're going to start an all female choir, and have them perform every 3 months or so. Yep. I got a calling that is only adding a special musical number once ever three months. This is super rad, except that now I feel like I don't really have a calling. I would have accompanied a musical number regardless of whether it was my calling or not.

In other news... about half of our ward was released today because 15+ families are moving out this summer. Dental School graduation was today, and now we'll lose a lot of people! Today we got a new YMs presidency, Primary Presidency, our Sunday School presidency all got released (except the president) and put into other callings... we lost primary teachers, the entire relief society meeting board, an assistant ward clerk, some sunday school teachers... Basically our ward business took about 15 minutes as our Bishop released a ton of people, and then turned around and issued a bunch of new callings.

And yet again, other news... I started playing Just Dance again on my Wii, and I freaking rock at it. If I was still in charge of Activity Day I would make sure to have a dance party this summer where we just play Just Dance and maybe call it an "exercise program" so it could count for something.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh. I think that's my dream calling! :-D

Joe and Joanne said...

Congrats on your dream calling Marci! With all those people moving out, maybe they have you in mind for another, more heavy, calling and this playing for special musical numbers now and then will just be a *side*? Who knows!

(3/4 of our ward left this week too. In all seriousness, I think we may need to combine with the Spanish branch that meets at the same time we do in order to have enough people to pass the Sacrament...). Thankfully a whole new crop moves in mid-August!

Mom of 12 said...

Wow, that was a quick turnaround. It seems like you just got that calling. I would not love the piano calling, but you must be much better at it than me.
Sandy