The other night Chris was reading some articles online and he told me about one of them-- an article that found that people who own E-readers (kindle, nook, use iBooks on an iPad/iPhone, whatever other E-readers) read more than people who do not own such a device. I quickly asked him what number they quote for each. Apparently E-reader owners read on average 24 books a year whereas people who do not use e-readers only read 14 books a year. I looked at him and laughed a little- I do not own an e-reader but I have read 39 books so far this year, and it's only the end of May.
My question about this article then was whether they were only counting people who purchase books, because of the 39 books I've read I only own 2 of them, the rest were all checked out from the library or borrowed from friends.
If you use an e-reader... do you read more because of it? I'm pretty sure that I would read less unless all the books I wanted to read were suddenly free... because as much as I love books, I hate paying for them.
2 comments:
I probably read slightly more now that I have a kindle only because all classics are free on Amazon and they happen to be a favorite genre of mine. Considering, however, that I have four kids and really only read one book a year or so before the kindle, I'd say that now I read maybe three a year so like I said it's just slightly more. :) If I could, I would read all the time but I haven't figured out how to get the kids and the house to take care of themselves yet. Oh well.
Ooo...that is a very good question and interesting study. I'll be logging in to see what people are saying, I'm curious too.
Then there are people like me who don't own an e-reader, have shelves and shelves of great books (I love my books -- most given to me, or purchased on the cheap at the library give-aways or some other comparable venue) -- but I never get the time to read them. If I have spare time it's usually taken up with other things. I'm lucky to read more than two books a year. Lame, I know -- but this seems to be the season for other things... I wonder if the study took age, situation (i.e. employed or unemployed / student or non-student, etc.), economic status, and more into account. I wonder if there may be discrepancies among those groups causing the difference?
Post a Comment