5.31.2012

Obsessed...

Because I have some super awesome nephews, over the last few years I have learned to LOVE the Scripps National Spelling Bee. This is the third year I've had a nephew in it, but the first year that I have watched the entire thing. On Wednesday I watched pretty much from 7-5, although there were breaks and such, but my whole day was consumed with the spelling bee. I watched all 278 contestants spell their two words. Today I watched the semi-finals as I swept, mopped, and generally just cleaned my house. The finals start in a little over 1 hour. I can't decide who I am cheering for the most. There are a few kids who have won me over. I would love to see the kid from Jamaica win the whole thing. He is the most polite kid, saying "Thank you, Sir" each time Dr. Bailly would give him information about his word (origin, definition, alternate pronunciations, a sentence containing the word). Then there is the kid who has been in the bee the last few years and has always worn the same yellow striped polo shirt. He is fantastic. And then there is Lena. The pure excitement (and sometimes shock) she has after she spells a word right, running back to her seat... it's just contagious!

Besides my nephew, which obviously is the highlight for me... (have you ever watched your nephew on ESPN before?) my all time favorite moment of the spelling bee was when a boy named Jack was given the word "idiosyncratic" and he messed up. He got 2 letters into it, messed up, realized he had messed up, and turned it into the funniest moment of the spelling bee. He spelled it like this: I-O- *pause* -Q-R-S-Z-3-QUATRO-F-L-V-R-Q. Seriously, hilarious. I'm still laughing about this, and trying to find a video clip of it. If I do, you can bet that I'll post it.

Other highlights include people who asked 1. For a different word 2. If he could spell the word for them 3. For an easier word. Such funny kids!

The National Spelling Bee is freakin awesome, and I'll be sad when it's over tonight... I'm already looking forward to watching it next year! I'd love to thank Teag, Talm, and Tag for helping me find a new favorite tv program... if only it was more than just two days a year!


3 comments:

Mom of 12 said...

That is so cool! Is your nephew out now?
Sandy

Sarah said...

Oh man. I've been missing out! I think I did see a clip of one of your nephews a while back. So exciting!

Traci said...

Marci, you are awesome! I will definitely remember for future years that you are the Aunty to have keep people in the loop. Even if you are miles and miles away, you have certainly kept yourself in the loop. We are working for a repeat!! LOVE YOU!!!!