This may be/seem super scattered, but I need to get this out while I remember stuff as it has happened. Here's what we've learned in the past week:
Chris went to the Opthamologist, where we learned that his contact lens/glasses prescription is too strong. After getting new contacts and waiting a few days to get used to them, his headaches seem to be less often and less severe.
We had our initial appointment with the ENT. After some quick initial tests we were told we needed some more extensive tests run. Those tests happened yesterday. We just got home from getting the results. For a 9:00 appointment we finally left the waiting room at 10:30, talked to the nurse for about 5 minutes as she took his vitals, and then at 11:00 we saw the doctor. He had results though, so we're feeling ok with it.
Chris has excess fluid in his inner ear, in both of his ears. The doctor said a whole lot of other stuff, but used a bajillion big words. I got that that was the problem and that it's totally treatable. There also was some other problem, but we need to address the inner ear fluid first because it may actually be causing the other problem. In three weeks we get blood work done, and in one month we go back to the ENT to see how his fluid levels have changed. He has to get allergy testing done, and that happens in 3 weeks. Apparently his allergies played a little role as well. I forget how allergies were connected.
Our diets have to change as well. Two different diets. A low sodium diet (1000-1500 mg/day), and a Migraine Diet. We have to avoid caffeine (no big deal, for Chris at least), eliminate nitrage/nitrite (kind of a big deal-lunch meats, hot dogs, ham and bacon... we love those), avoid cheeses (goodbye, Quesadillas and Grilled Cheese), and avoid MSG (we should've been doing this anyway, now we just have to start paying more attention).
A lot of those changes are fine with us, and are things we should've been more careful about anyway, this just gives us the push that we need. We just bought a groupon for Red Robin... guess we'll blow that low-sodium diet when we use it (oops!).
Tomorrow we follow up with our Primary Care Physician, and try and sift through everything that has happened since we last saw him.
If anyone is looking for something to fast for on Sunday (if you're the fasting type) I know we'll be fasting for Chris to recover, and we invite anyone to join us in that.
4 comments:
NO CHEESE?!?! Hopefully that won't be a permanent thing. I would probably die. Hope he feels much better soon!
I'm glad you finally got answers! As for the no cheese tell Chris I don't like cheese and have lived happily cheese-free for years. :)
Joe and I will be joining you in the fast for Chris!
I've been allergic to dairy most of my life and it's only gotten worse as I've aged. As such, we drink Almond Milk (vanilla) and eat goat-cheese in this house -- both are really good (better than milk and cow cheese in our opinion). Does the doctor allow him to eat goat cheese? If so, you should give it a go!
It sounds like you are headed down a good path. Hopefully he will feel better soon. But wow, those diet changes don't sound fun...
Sandy
Post a Comment