5.30.2011

Memorial Day Weekend

This weekend has been EXCELLENT! Chris has been really stressed lately with work, a bug came up in some of the coding he was working on and nobody could figure out what was going on. Anywho, he was ready for an extra day off.

Friday night we went to the temple and then did our grocery shopping.

Saturday we woke up early, went to a few furniture stores... we're looking for a bookcase, dresser and nightstands. None of these things are urgent, we just figured that looking during a holiday weekend could be a good time to find something great at a great price. We ended up finding a bookcase we like at Target, which hopefully means it will be there in a while still. Then we went and saw Kung Fu Panda 2. A few weeks ago we watched a friends kids and they insisted we take some free movie tickets that they had gotten from work. The deal was 2 movie tickets and a $10 certificate that could either be used at concessions or to buy tickets. We went for the concessions because we also had another coupon- Regal Cinemas offers something called a Zap Pack which is a little box with a small soda, fruit snacks and popcorn. I don't know how much they normally are but we found some coupons for only $2, so we each got a zap pack, then we got a hot dog and some junior mints. I think we ended up paying $1.75, it was a fantastic deal. Also, the movie was incredibly awesome. Chris immediately said "this is my new favorite animated movie!" I can't quite say that, I LOVE all of the Toy Story movies, but Kung Fu Panda 2 was definitely an excellent movie. After the movie we headed to the mall and hit up Banana Republic. For Memorial Day Weekend they hand a coupon out to everyone who walks in the store. This time the coupons were either 25%, 30% or 50% off your total purchase, including sale items. Chris got a 50% off coupon, so he picked out a few shirts for work and I scored a cute top and some awesome shorts, both of which were already on sale! We pretty much only buy stuff there when we get a 50% off coupon, then the stuff there is actually affordable!

Sunday was pretty normal.

This morning we woke up early and got ready for a day of fun at Six Flags (big surprise, right?)! We got there before it opened and got on a few rides without much of a wait. We decided today was the day to hit up the rides that you get wet on and then go to the water park. I was SOAKED before we got to the water park, but it was alright because I had my swimsuit on under my shorts and shirt! It was a perfect day at Six Flags, there weren't a million school buses with middle school band, choir and orchestra trips so the lines weren't too bad at all. We got home, made some burgers on our George Foreman and are now enjoying a James Bond movie on Netflix. My feet hurt (my sandals gave me a blister) from walking around the water park barefoot-next time I'll wear flip flops and just hold them when I go down the rides, I won't be walking around that water park barefoot again.

We plan on ending the night with some White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle ice cream. It is as good as it sounds, better actually. That was our splurge at the grocery store this weekend, and definitely worth it!

Happy Memorial Day everybody!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

That sounds so fresh! :-D Glad you had a great weekend.

Megan said...

I think that sounds like a great weekend! And I hope your husband feels ready to go back to work tomorrow.

Joe and Joanne said...

Sounds like you had an eventful and very fun weekend! I don't know if you have any TJ Maxx stores near you but Joe and I love to do our furniture shopping with them because you get brand-name and brand-quality items for REALLY CHEAP! Worth checking out if one exists near you.

grandkrumps said...

We got a lot of rain for Memorial Day, but it didn't stop us from having Grandma, Grandpa, and the Douglases over for a barbeque. We actually did STEAKS for a change (good sale at Hy-Vee) and frog eye salad. This Saturday we are hosting a neighborhood barbeque since the Blacks are "home" for 3 weeks. Should be fun, if today's thunderstorm is PAST history.

Mom of 12 said...

What a fun weekend! Thanks for stopping by my blog...come back again soon.
Sandy
www.twelvemakesadozen.blogspot.com