10.19.2009

why i feel like i am growing up...

Ever since I changed my major from Special Ed to Home & Family Living I was kind of planning on grad school all along. In the last week things have kind of just sped along.

I started thinking more seriously about Grad School and have actually spent time in the bookstore looking at their aisle of "so you want to go to grad school" books. I've been debating which prep book to get, do I go with Kaplan or The Princeton Review? In consulting with my oldest nephew who has recently taken the ACT and some AP Tests, he recommended The Princeton Review, so that's what I'm going with. I will admit though, it felt weird going to a 17 year old to figure out what GRE prep book to get, but he's a smart one. I also looked in a book that listed what Masters programs different schools offer. I need to look at that book again with a notepad so I can write down the ones I need to research.

This past Sunday at church I sat next to a guy who is also looking into MFT (Marriage and Family Therapy) and he told me about the new emphasis that the School of Family Life has, so now I'm changing the official title of my major, but it isn't really affecting a whole lot. My major now will be: "Family Life: Marriage and Family Studies." It is good news though, I was going to have to take extra courses to get some of the grad school prereqs done, but now they are all included in my major! I have 30 credits left for my new major (I say new, although I haven't gone in and declared it yet), 9 credits of GEs left, and 2 3 credit courses I want to retake.

Also, this week I am applying for an internship. I don't want to say too much about it, there were about 100 people at the information meeting for it, and they are only looking for 18 people... we'll see if this works out. If it does, I'll be in Seattle next summer!

This thought process of mine was inspired by reading Megan (not my HA Megan, but the other Megan)'s blog. I now know 3 girls who have submitted thier mission papers and are waiting for their calls. I also have a friend in the MTC. I spent a lot of time praying and thinking about a mission, but feel like Grad School is where I'm supposed to be heading... So Megan, Katalin and Cecily, I can't wait for your calls to come!

5 comments:

amyraye said...

thanks for the heads-up on megan. had no idea.
so great that you're following your own heart. you can't go wrong when you're seeking the guidance of the spirit. but- are you SURE you want to do more schooling?! (j/k)

Megan said...

i love you marce! I promise you will definitely hear when I get my call...and not through my blog... :)

grandkrumps said...

Yes, you are definitely growing up! And your head is screwed onto your shoulders in Just the Right Place! My baby is growing up! Should I cry or be elated? Maybe a little of both!

Joe and Joanne said...

Grad school is a very worthy use of time and energy - you will be blessed because of it. Your major suits you well - I can see you being a blessing to whomever you work with once you're graduated, it will bless your family, and it will be something you enjoy. Keep following that Spirit - He leads and guides us all to where we're supposed to be!

Traci said...

Can I admit to being a little jealous about the grad school? That is just what I wanted to do...still want to do, come to think of it. I know a gal who is just finishing MFT at Syracuse. Go for it, Marci!