Since I am now referring to my roommates based off the order we are in the picture to the right, I figure I should maybe give some sort of brief guide to them... and I need to vent about them some more.
Roommate 1: most recently from Utah. cooks dinner on Thursdays. "plays" the guitar. regularly sleeps on the kitchen couch. teaches Sunday School. used to be a physics major but currently has no major. likes to make big plans but never do any of them (i.e. going to concerts, meeting new people, having people over for dinner, etc.). works too much as a receptionist. sleeps too little. drives a jeep. recently writing 1 missionary.
Roommate 2: aka, Favorite. from Virginia. cooks dinner on Tuesdays. sings. works early morning custodial. activities committee co-chair. majoring in recreational management and minoring in travel/tourism/hospitality. waaaay good at planning activities/events. has a car. likes things to be clean just like i do. best friend got baptized in october and goes to byu. she's super short but so cute that it doesn't even matter. 1 missionary just got home, still writing 1.
Me: from Washington. cooks dinner on Monday. is majoring in home and family living. almost single-handedly keeps our apartment clean. is responsible for the safety and welfare of 58 darling college freshmen girls. likes to make to-do lists and cross things off with a black sharpie. has a big calendar on her desk with all homework assignments, tests, quizzes, work nights and meetings. plays the piano for the practice song in relief society (woot woot!). currently writing 6 missionaries.
Roommate 3: from Arizona. cooks dinner on Wednesday. never has an opinion about anything. breaks lots of dishes. has no major or general idea in what she wants to do. is a telemarketer. was the one that brought the flu into our apartment. leads a rather sheltered life. is learning spanish. leads the practice song in relief society every other week, is on the compassionate service committee. writing 1 missionary.
Roommate 4: from Wyoming. cooks dinner on Sunday. is into visual arts-wants to major in animation. draws all the time. is learning arabic. most of her classes are honors classes so she basically lives in the library. tells it like it is. is honest when we discuss keeping our apartment clean and tells us that she probably won't change her cleaning habits(we don't like that, but hey... at least she's honest). is on the service committee. has no job but she is on a scholarship. doesn't write missionaries.
Our dinner nights are a big deal... I for sure eat real dinner 5 nights a week now! I tried to keep within the same ideas for each roommate (where they are from, if they have a job, calling at church {not because we are defined by them, but they are something we all have}, and majors.
Should've done this months ago. This is more for me to vent about them than for you to REALLY get to know them.
I feel like unlike last March/April when I realized I didn't want to have to say goodbye to my roommates, leaving this apartment will not be a sad day.
13 comments:
I had a roommate that kept her old underwear wrapped around some kind of cleaning solution on the coffee table because she used it as a rag. I begged her not to leave it there anymore because it was embarrassing when people came over.
She also started almost every phrase with, "Can I just say ....."
She borrowed our roommate's car without asking, would lie about it, but we knew it was her because she was the only one who would change the radio station to country.
There's lot more stories where that came from.
Sadly, she was not my worst roommate.
I had something to say, but Sarah distracted me. It's good to vent. At least none of your roommates burns incense in her room or smokes in her room with the window open, or stays out all night and gets the entire dorm in trouble. That roommate of mine lasted only ONE QUARTER at Utah State (that's mid-Sept to mid-December). Ah, the joys of life.
Where is the Virginia roommate from? What city? You just might need to visit her on our trip back from Nauvoo. We will have one extra spot for Aunt Marci in our van.
It might be fun to look into...
The Virginia roommate will be in Utah for the whole summer doing an internship. She's from Winchester though.
Tell her your nieces and nephew LOVE the Shenandoah Valley Discovery Museum. Eliza even had some of her artwork published in their calendar this year. Winchester is GREAT!
I had a roommate who left messes everywhere. She would bake brownies and other stuff and leave it there until it became a science experiment. It was annoying, but fascinating, as if she thought it would magically disappear. Our kitchen smelled really rank.
Sadly, she was not my worst roommate either.
I had a roommate who didn't want to give any of us the time of day. She had a mini refrigerator in her room where she would watch movies all day, and while one roommate was at work, she ate half of her casserole and I was briefly accused of it (but I had a witness as to my delicious meal of PB&J). If I tried to make conversation like, "Hey, I have that movie too!" She would say smugly, "Well now I have it!" and walk off to her room.
Again, not my worst roommate.
I had a roommate that would start making-out with her boyfriend while I was sitting right there. I don't mean walking in on someone making-out - I mean I'm watching a movie and they decide it's the perfect time to do that like 2 feet away from me.
I went to my brother's house to play Scum because I was so uncomfortable and not ready for bed. He called my apartment and my roommate heard him yell, "HELLO? IS THE HOLY GHOST THERE?" Later she says, "Dude! I'm making-out with my boyfriend and your brother calls and asks if the Holy Ghost is there!"
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
She was also threatened by me. Any time we met new boys, she would point out that I look like a troll doll. She did this until it made a mutual friend mad and he said, "No, YOU look like a troll doll!" She said, "Dude! I do not!" "Do you think Sarah wants to look like a troll doll?" "Troll dolls are cute." He asked me, "Sarah, do you want to look like a troll doll?" "Not especially."
Then one night she told me it was good I didn't come out into the living room because she and one of her boyfriends were "immodestly dressed" and almost did the deed.
No, still not my worst roommate.
Wow, I love being married.
I had a roommate that called drunk one night at 2am saying she remembered she had left her beer in the freezer and would we please take it out. Other roommate (pretty nice roommate, actually) removes it and it explodes everywhere.
Nope, not the worst.
My son is up sick. I have nothing better to do but tell you awful roommate stories. :P
Here it is. Worst roommate I ever had.
A friend of mine asked me to set up a friend with a place to live, help her find a job, friends, etc. Being of a somewhat friendly nature, I was happy to oblige! I set it up for us to get a duplex to split the rent on with just the perfect timing, I got the landlady to do individual contracts, set up the utilities, and it would've been much easier just to get a contract at an apartment. My lease was ending and I could've stayed there, but I rearranged things for this girl I didn't know.
Moving day approaches and my friend asks me if I will drive him to the airport to pick her up. He met her while doing sales in Florida or something and ended up introducing her to the church. She converted and decided she wanted to move to Utah. I thought it was for a Mormon atmosphere, but it turns out she had one other motive.
She was in love with him.
So, here she had this idea that he would come alone to pick her up (his car was broken) and she was so dismayed to see me there (and not at all grateful about the major role I played in setting her up with a place - never even heard a thank you), she walked 10-20 paces behind us all day. I had had this idea to take her to Temple Square for a tour and she moped the entire time. Answered every question with one word, wouldn't make eye contact with me, and even though I talked about MY BOYFRIEND WHO WAS NOT THAT GUY (Matt!), she just hated me.
I could do no right. Ever. Never ever. I had also arranged for Shelagh to move in with us. Thinking this girl might be normal, I had already called dibs on the room downstairs with my other roommate and poor Shelagh got stuck sharing a room with her (the drunken beer freezer was in a room of her own with horrific bright red shaggy carpet). I felt terrible.
The girl would only accept a job working in the lens lab, hardly looked for work, had no money, slept all day, took a nap later, and would keep her radio on all night long. Poor Shelagh (who we all know is pretty much the nicest person in the world) was kept awake and had to get up really early to do this thing called work!
She politely asked her to turn off the radio. She refused. One night when she thought she was asleep, she turned it off. She asked her, "What are you doing?" "Oh, I thought you were asleep." "Well you could've asked first!" "I didn't want to wake you up."
When she would get home from work, she was exhausted and went to her room to take a nap. Our roommate from heck went in there, turned on the radio, and left the room! I didn't care much about her not liking me, but I wasn't going to put up with her mistreating Shelagh. So the next time she wanted to take one of her many naps, I decided I needed to vacuum, and "accidentally" rammed it against the door repeatedly.
She would also tell us that it sounded like someone was trying to break into the house. I asked, "What do you mean? Was someone turning the doorknob?" "It just sounded like someone was trying to break in." "Which door?" "It just sounded like someone was trying to break in." For some reason, I didn't believe her. This was a very non-specific burglar.
I solved the radio problem by hitting the power switch to their room on the breaker box and let her think we had an electrical problem. Every night, I would wait for them to go to sleep. Every night, I would shut off the power to their room. Then every morning I would wake Shelagh up since her alarm clock wouldn't work.
I'm pretty sure our lovely roommate was talking about me to our bishop too because he asked, "How are things going with your roommates?" I said, "It's great! I love being roommates with Shelagh." I wasn't going to start a game of she said, she said. And wouldn't the bishop have liked to know that our poor roommate who had no money and wouldn't look for a job had used the money he had given her for winter boots to buy fashion boots?
Our poor other roommate, she just leeched right onto her. She started taking the long way home from work every night knowing she would be waiting for her. I asked her why she hated me so much. She said, "It's because she's jealous of you for being so happy." What the heck?
Then they made us visiting teaching partners. She complained that there was no way I would have time to do visiting teaching because I spent too much time with Matt, but I instantly asked her, "When can we go visiting teaching?" Hmm ... She didn't want to go with me. That's curious. Oh yeah, they also assigned us to visit teach our other roommate! Made no sense at all.
Still, we tried to set her up to be more comfortable. She was basically sleeping on a boxspring and we asked around until someone offered a mattress. She wouldn't take it, but she complained every day, all day about how bad her back, neck, and head hurt.
She also had improper chocolate etiquette. I offered her a chocolate out of my double decker box and she dug to the bottom for my caramel. MY CARAMEL!!!
Things only got worse when Shelagh started dating the guy she was in love with. And then she married him! : O
Marci, that whole situation was so not chill. Not fresh at all. That's not even the half of it.
Val-
Roommate thought it was so cool that you knew what the Shenendoah Valley Discovery Museum was. She said you are the coolest ever now, because you said that. Also, she thought it was way awesome that Eliza's art was in their calendar. Way to go, Roommate 2 loves you now. Also, she said your kids are cute (I have your Christmas card up on my wall).
Hmmmm....the saga of roommates. I have never had to be responsible for so many women. Oh wait...yes I have - I'm RS President and have consistently 120 women under my charge...somehow forgot about that so let me re-phrase: I have never had to be responsible FOR THE LIVING CONDITIONS of so many women at one time and do not envy you that. I see plain as day that women were not meant to co-habitate with other women (for too long anyway). Women were meant for men, and were also meant to be CEO of their own households. Keep up the good work, it will all come to an end soon and I'm sure there will be something sad about leaving these girls you're serving. You can't serve someone and not love them to some degree. ;)
Post a Comment