Last week I got a phone call asking me to come to church a little early today to meet with a member of the bishopric. I wasn't too surprised; a few weeks previously a member of the bishopric pulled me aside after church to ask me some questions about my schedule, talents and abilities. Today I was extended the calling of the Young Women Music Specialist. My biggest duty is playing the piano in YW each Sunday--can you believe that not one girl or leader plays the piano? There were times when I was in YW where there were enough girls who were willing to play that we each got assigned a specific Sunday. My other roles will include accompanying the YW when they sing (in Sacrament Meeting, at New Beginnings, at YW in Excellence), and the YW pres hopes that I can teach the girls how to lead music (yeah, nobody knows how to do that either...) confidently so that they don't just wave their hands around in a circle or spell their names anymore. Yeah, when I get through with these girls they'll know how to lead music so if they go to BYU and get called as the RS every other Sunday music director (like I was once called to be the pianist version of that) they will be able to do it!
I think my favorite thing of the calling was when they called my name over the pulpit and one of my Activity Day girls and her mom looked at me and mouthed to me that they were going to oppose my new calling because they were worried that it meant I was getting released from Activity Days. No fear girls, you still get to come to my house every other week and party with me.
I'm really excited to have something to practice the piano for. Even if it is just to play one verse of one hymn each Sunday for the most part, it means that I need to be ready to play whatever hymn they choose. Right now they are also in the planning stages of New Beginnings which means I'll likely get to accompany the girls in a song for that, which will actually be new to me--I've accompanied one group of singers before, and one soloist before, and mostly done piano solos. It will be fun to try and find music for the girls, and to teach them... I just hope they aren't expecting me to lead the musical numbers and accompany them at the same time, that's one skill I don't have.
p.s., my goal to read the complete standard works is going well. because i let myself start a few days early, I am currently a whole week ahead of where I need to be. That's pretty sweet, but over this next month it may even out a bit as I've got quite a lot going on. We'll see where I am again come Feb. 1st
2 comments:
Just found your blog. Perused through some old posts. Love you. ;)
Yay for being the music specialist in YW! And yay for your Scripture-reading goal!
Not one of them knows how to lead music or play the piano well enough to accompany a hymn? Yikes. Every once in a while I get hit with just how blessed we were to be raised in the Redmond Stake where these things were just commonplace for the most part.
Good thing they have you! You can share those talents and hopefully start a domino effect.
Post a Comment